Following the California Gold Rush, pioneer entrepreneurs built canals and reservoirs designed to move Mokelumne River water from the Sierras to the Amador mines to power their stamp mills. Those canals became the foundation of water service in Amador County.
In 1959, the Amador County Water Agency was formed as a public non-profit special district by the California Legislature and ratified by the voters of Amador County for the purpose of providing water, wastewater and storm drain services to Amador County.
In 1985 the Agency purchased the Amador Water System from Pacific Gas & Electric. Several more water and wastewater improvement districts have since elected to become part of the Agency.
In 1995, the Agency changed its name to the Amador Water Agency, to more clearly demonstrate that it operates independently from Amador County government.
Serving approximately 10,000 customers in Amador County today, the Agency is the primary provider of drinking water. In addition to residents and businesses in unincorporated areas, the Agency sells water to the cities of Ione, Jackson, Plymouth, Sutter Creek, Amador City and several special districts.